5 Days Volcanoes & Masai Mara National Parks Safari
5 Days Volcanoes & Masai Mara National Parks Safari: Get to visit two different countries in a space of five days. Fly into Rwanda to start this safari and connect to Kenya to end the safari. You will take an international flight between the 2 destinations. Visit the major national parks of the countries that are Volcanoes national park the home of the mountain gorillas and the Masai Mara national park. Visit the mountain gorillas and the Masai Mara national park for the wildlife bit of the safari.
Trip highlights of 5 Days Volcanoes & Masai Mara National Parks Safari
- Trek the mountain gorillas of Volcanoes national park
- Game drives in Masai Mara
- Iby’iwachu Cultural village visit
- Kigali city tour
Day 1: Land at Kigali International Airport and drive to Volcanoes National Park
- Land at Kigali International Airport and drive to Volcanoes National Park: Depending on your flight into Rwanda, your driver-guide will be waiting to welcome you to the land of a thousand hills. You will exchange pleasantries and start your safari with a Kigali city tour or preferably lunch all according to the time of arrival. The Kigali city tour includes visiting the local Kimironko market where you can interact with the local people of Rwanda and buy some souvenirs. Also, visit the Kigali Genocide memorial grounds for the story of the 1994 Rwanda genocide. After all this, drive to Ruhengeri the home of the mountain gorillas and the base of the hotel you will be spending the next two nights. Dinner will be served and the day will end.
- Muhabura hotel for budget
- Le bambou gorilla lodge for midrange
- 5 Volcanoes Gorilla lodge for luxury
Day 2: Mountain gorilla trekking in Volcanoes National Park
- Mountain gorilla trekking in Volcanoes: Gorilla trekking activity will have you wake up as early as 6 am to grab a quick breakfast and drive to the park headquarters in time for the briefing from the rangers before you enter the forest in search for the mountain gorillas. After the brief, grab your necessities and also hire a porter if need be and start your trek. You will search for about 2 to 7 hours depending on where the gorillas will have spent their night the day before. When you encounter them, you will spend the magical one hour at a 6 meter distance enjoying these gentle giants. This will also be your opportunity to take photos and study the mountain gorillas of the Volcanoes National park. Exit the park back to your accommodation for a late lunch. After lunch when you have regained your strength, your driver guide will be waiting to drive you to the Iby’iwachu cultural village for your cultural experience of the people living around the park. Drive back to your hotel for dinner and the second night.
Day 3: Drive back to Kigali airport and connect for your international flight to Kenya
- Drive back to Kigali airport and connect for your international flight to Kenya: After your breakfast at your hotel, you will check out of your hotel and meet your driver guide who will be waiting to drive you back to the Kigali international airport in time to catch your international flight out to Nairobi Kenya where you will link up with your other driver guide waiting to welcome you into the country. You will leave the Jomo Kenyatta airport headed straight to Masai Mara park to spend the evening at your hotel in the park. This is a 5 hour drive from Nairobi to Narok the remote village that is the gate to the Masai Mara national park.
Accommodation options in Masai mara
- Mara Simba lodge for budget and midrange
- Mara Sopa lodge for luxury
Day 4: Full day in Masai Mara National park
- Morning game drive: Wake up in the mighty Mara region to an early sumptuous breakfast at your hotel in order to catch the early risers on the morning game drive in Masai mara national park. Set out to explore the mara plains with the vast wildlife species like the buffaloes, antelopes and the lions in big numbers. The game drive in Masai mara is also a great time for birding for the birders. From July to October, you will get to see the wildebeest migration from Serengeti national park crossing to Masai mara national park via the mara river. You drive around the park until you feel the need to have your packed lunches.
- Evening game drive: Drive back to the hotel to escape the scorching sun but later return for an evening game drive to catch the game you may have missed in the morning drive. Connect back to your hotel for dinner and a second night in the park.
Day 5: Drive back to Nairobi for flight back home
- Drive back to Nairobi for flight back home: Have breakfast at leisure as you enjoy the last moments in the park. Check out of your accommodation and have a brief game drive as you exit the park and get a third chance to appreciate the beauty Masai Mara has to offer. You will drive straight to the airport to catch your flight back home.
End of safari
- Full time fueled safari vehicle
- English speaking driver guide
- Accommodation as in the itinerary
- Bottled water
- Gorilla permits
- Cultural village visit
- Park entrance fees
- City tour (complimentary)
- International flights
- Visa fees
- Personal expenses like laundry, airtime, alcoholic beverages, medication if any
- Optional activities not stated in the itinerary.