Gorilla Trekking in Rwanda | Rwanda gorilla trekking| Rwanda gorilla tours | Rwanda gorilla safari
Gorilla trekking in Rwanda/ rwanda gorilla trekking tours/Rwanda gorilla tours is one of the most famous activities that are carried out by visitors that come to the country because of the need to see half of the remaining mountain gorillas in the wild. The country has a number of activities like cultural tours in Rwanda, Rwanda genocide tours where you will get to know more about the 1994 genocide of Rwanda, wildlife safaris where you will visit the different national parks in Rwanda that is Akagera National Park where you will see the big five animals, Nyungwe national park where you can carry out Rwanda chimpanzee tours among other activities.
Volcanoes national park where you will see the mountain gorillas and the golden monkeys, Dian Fossey are grave, hiking the Virunga Mountains and so on. Among the different activities that can be carried out when you visit Rwanda, gorilla trekking is the most rewarding activities because of a number of attractions that can be seen during the activity, from the primate species to the exceptional views of the neighbouring attractions like the lakes and the neighbouring communities, coffee plantations among other rewarding attractions.
Where can you find the gorilla species in Rwanda
For tourists interested in carrying out gorilla trekking in Rwanda, they can only take part in the activity in Volcanoes national park where they will find the habituated gorilla families. Volcanoes national park is famous for the endangered of the primate species that can only be found in the virunga massif where you will find Virunga National Park, Volcanoes National Park and Mgahinga National Park. The gorilla species can also be found in Bwindi Impenetrable National Park.
Volcanoes National Park is a rewarding park that if you choose it as among your safari destination you will have the opportunity to see a number of mesmerising attractions like the Virunga mountains where you can find the different Rwanda gorilla families and these include; Mount Karisimbi, Mount Muhabura, Mount Gahinga, Mount Bisoke and Mount Sabyinyo.
Gorilla trekking permit
For a tourist to participate in gorilla trekking in Rwanda, they are supposed to obtain a valid gorilla trekking permit which will enable you to participate in gorilla trekking in Rwanda. A gorilla trekking permit in the country can be obtained from the Rwanda Development Board or you can book in advance from a trusted tour company like explore Rwanda tours to have the opportunity not to miss out on the activities in the park.
What involves in gorilla trekking
After you have obtained a gorilla trekking permit to participate in the activity, you will present it to the receptionist at the park headquarters for verification and after you will participate in a gorilla trekking briefing session where you will be briefed on the rules and the regulations of the activity in the park, the guidelines to follow in order to have an amazing and safe activity in volcanoes national park. After the briefing session, you will then head to hike the different virunga mountains in order to access the different gorilla families in the park when you get to spend one hour with them understanding their behaviour in the park and at the end of your trip will know more about their feeding patterns, their diet, their co-existence among other interesting features about the primate species in the park you can also take a number of pictures of the primates in order to keep some memories of the primates during gorilla trekking in Rwanda.
Guidelines to follow during gorilla trekking
- You should keep a distance of 7 metres away from the gorilla species to avoid inconveniencing them during their daily activities.
- You should avoid making unnecessary noise and movements during the activity which can trigger the primates as a threat.
- You should follow the lead of the guide to have a safe activity in the park.
- You should avoid taking pictures of the gorillas with a flash on.
Packing list for gorilla trekking
- Hiking shoes for easy movements while hiking the Virunga Mountains to make gorilla trekking in Rwanda an amazing and comfortable in the park.
- Insect repellent to avoid getting bitten by a number of diseases spreading insects like black flies, mosquitoes among other insects in the park.
- Raincoat because the weather in volcanoes national park is quite unpredictable that it can rain at any time even during the dry season.
- Pain killers to ease tensions during the Virunga Mountains hike to access the different gorilla families in the park.
Rules and regulations of gorilla trekking
- Smoking during gorilla trekking in Rwanda should be avoided to avoid spreading diseases to the primates.
- While participating in gorilla trekking in Rwanda, tourists should avoid eating in the presence of the gorillas.
- Littering in volcanoes national park during gorilla trekking should be to avoid accidents in the park during gorilla trekking in Rwanda.
- Gorilla trekking in Rwanda is only eligible to tourists 15 years and above.
Best time to participate in gorilla trekking in Rwanda
Gorilla trekking in Rwanda can be carried out at any time throughout the year during the period of the short rains in the country where food is readily available for the gorillas which limits movement of the gorillas making the activity however for tourists to have comfortable during their stay in the park, they should choose a time when they will have a comfortable activity in the country by choosing to visit Rwanda during specific seasons.
It should be noted that Rwanda has two wet and two dry seasons throughout the year that can influence you to participate in gorilla trekking in Rwanda. Tourists can participate in gorilla trekking during the wet season during the months of mid-February to May and from mid-September to mid-December they can also participate during the dry season in the months of June to mid-September and the rest of the months the combination of both rainy and dry seasons. It should be noted that regardless of the time you visit Volcanoes national park to take part in gorilla trekking in Rwanda you will have an amazing experience while in the park.