5 Days Queen Elizabeth & Mount Rwenzori Safari
5 Days Queen Elizabeth & Mount Rwenzori Safari: This is wildlife and mountain climbing experience gives travellers the best encounter of wildlife and hiking adventure. This 5 Days trip features stay in Queen Elizabeth national park which is the second largest wildlife national park located in the western part of Uganda in Rubirizi district near Kasese district. Queen Elizabeth national park has a massive biodiversity with landscape including bushland, savannah, wetland and lush vegetation and it is a home of the tree climbing lions in Uganda. The park inhabits about 95 mammal species including the big 4 game (Lions, Leopards, buffaloes, and Elephants), other animals including; hyenas, hippos, waterbucks, Oribi to mention a few and over 600 bird species and it is surrounded by 2 lakes including Lake Albert and Lake Edward which support water activities like boat cruises, and fishing activities.
The trip also features Mount Rwenzori national park also located in the western part of Uganda about 2 hours’ drive from Queen Elizabeth national and while at Queen Elizabeth national park; one is able to view the Rwenzori mountain rangers. Mountain Rwenzori is the third highest mountain in Africa with the highest peak being Mount Stanley at 5,109 meters. Hiking mount Rwenzori is one of the most interesting hiking experiences in Africa however it requires excellent physical fitness and good health. This one day hike experience may not really require excellent but at least good fitness taking you to about 2,598 meters to about 3,975 meters high.
This trip starts and end in Kampala/Entebbe depending on your planned schedule, transport is provided in 4X4 Safari van that has an open roof for game driving inclusive fuel costs during the 5 days, accommodation and meals throughout the trip are also provided. It recommended that you travel with some for the hiking gears you will need to climb up such as hiking shoes for trekking, long light pants, long sleeved shirts and long stockings (to tack in your pants), rain poncho/Jacket, a hat and sun glasses, good gardening gloves, Sun cream and insect repellent, camera and binocular and you also need to pack both light and warm clothes as the weather can change often.
Highlights of the 5 Days Queen Elizabeth & Mount Rwenzori Safari
- Day 1: Pick up and transfer to Queen Elizabeth national park
- Day 2: Morning game drive and boat cruise
- Day 3: Transfer to Kasese – Mount Rwenzori national park
- Day 4: A day hike on Mount Rwenzori
- Day 5: Descend and return to Kampala
Day 1: Transfer to Queen Elizabeth national park
- Transfer to Queen Elizabeth: The first day of the 5 days Safari requires you to at least arrive in Uganda a day before given the 6 to 7 hours driving from Kampala/Entebbe to Queen Elizabeth national park. Depending on your location, you will be met by our company representative/ safari guide who will brief you about the 5 days trip before you embark on your journey to Queen Elizabeth national park, Uganda’s second-largest national park and home to the tree-climbing lions. The journey is scenic with great views of the landscape comprised of hills, waterbodies towns, and their local people. The park is located in the western part of Uganda in a valley and an overview of the Rwenzori mountain ranges. You will have a stop at the Equator and lunch break in Mbarara city as you connect to the park. Upon getting close to the park, visit the twin lakes then proceed to your booked accommodation close to the park or instead drive to your accommodation, check-in then connect for an evening game drive in the park. An evening game drive gives you an opportunity to explore some of the available animals including the elephants, warthogs, waterbucks, on a lucky evening; you may spot the lions, leopards, and hyenas. Thereafter, return to your lodge for dinner and overnight stay.
- Budget option: Pumba Safari Cottages
- Mid-range option: Parkview Safari lodge/Elephant Hub Lodge
- Luxury option: Kyambura Gorge lodge/Mweya Safari lodge
Day 2: Lion tracking/morning game drive and afternoon boat cruise.
- Lion tracking/morning game drive: You will wake up early, have breakfast and drive to the Kasenyi area for an early morning game drive and Lion tracking experience where you will get to closer look on the lions with the help of the researchers before the game drive for other missed animals like Antelopes, Buffaloes, Elephants, Warthogs, and Waterbucks just to mention a few.
- Afternoon boat cruise: You will return to the lodge for lunch, and then later afternoon, you will go for a launch cruise along the Kazinga channel where you will get an opportunity to see a number of bird species, elephants and buffalos, hippos, and crocodiles at the lake shores. Return and relax at lodge as above
Day 3: Transfer to Kasese – Mount Rwenzori national park
- Transfer to Kasese: After breakfast, check-out of the lodge and transfer to Kasese district where we find the third highest mountain in Africa after Mount Kilimanjaro as the first highest and Mount Kenya as the second highest. It’s a 2 hours’ drive from Queen Elizabeth national park to Kasese district. Upon arrival, proceed to check-in your booked accommodation for lunch and spend the rest of the day relaxing at the Hotel as you prepare for your next day activity. Dinner and overnight stay at
- Luxury option: Equator Snow Lodge
- Mid-range option: Hotel Margarita
- Budget option: Ruboni Community Banda
Day 4: Hike Mount Rwenzori – Sine Hut (2,680meters)
- Hike Mount Rwenzori – Sine Hut: After your breakfast, meet your safari driver and connect to the foothills of Mount Rwenzori to start climbing up from about 1,450 meters to Sine Hut which is about 2,680 meters high where you will spend a night. Meet with the park officials at the park headquarters for briefing about Mount Rwenzori, and after, along with your hiking gears, and your armed ranger guides, embark on the climb using either Rwenzori Central circuit or Kilembe trekking route. Hiking starts early from the valley floor through the tall forest trees of the montane forest zone as you continue on a steady climb with sights of birds and some primates like the black and white Colobus monkeys, the Blue monkeys, L’Hoest monkeys and you make hear the wild chimpanzees from a distance swinging and playing on trees. The vegetation along this climb is incredibly covered by flowers, bamboo thickets, fungi, low shrubs, moss and lichen and covered vines hanging on tall trees. Your day climb will take you to Sine Hut given your fitness ability and while at this Hut which is about 2,680 meters, there is a wooden Hut set between tall trees on a narrow ridge where you can sit, and relax as you enjoy the view of the montane forest and the refreshing sound of the Enock’s falls crashing down over the rocks while you look down. These falls are about 200 meters from Sine Hut. You will have dinner and stay overnight at Sine Camp.
Day 5: Descend and return to Kampala/Departure
- Descend and return to Kampala/Departure: Wake up early and enjoy a cup of tea then start to descend back from your Sine Hut. Meet your safari guide waiting for receive me, say goodbye to your ranger guides and set off for Kampala via Fort portal – Kampala road with en-route lunch. It’s a 6-7 hours’ drive reaching Kampala/Entebbe late evening. Proceed to your own booked hotel or be dropped off at Entebbe airport for your night flight back home. This marks the end of the 5 Days Queen Elizabeth & Mount Rwenzori Safari.
End of 5 Days Queen Elizabeth & Mount Rwenzori Safari