Chimpanzee trekking in Kibale National Park
Chimpanzee trekking in Kibale National Park is one of the major activities that can be carried out in the park because the park is a home to over 1000 chimpanzee species of which there are 4 habituated chimpanzee groups of about 50-60 chimpanzees making it easy for tourists interested in carrying out chimpanzee trekking have the opportunity to participate in the activity.
With chimpanzee trekking in Kibale national park, you will have the chance to track the primate species in an evergreen moist montane forest where you will get to engage with nature you will have the most amazing experience in the park. It should also be noted that in Kibale national park tourists can also participate in chimpanzee habituation and interesting about the activity is the fact that among all the areas like kyambura gorge in queen Elizabeth national park, Ngamba chimpanzee sanctuary, Budongo forest near Murchison falls National Park, chimpanzee habituation in Uganda can only be carried out in Kibale National Park.
For tourists to participate in Chimpanzee trekking in Kibale national park, they have to obtain a chimpanzee trekking permit which can be got through a trusted tour company or tour operator or from the Uganda Wildlife Authority at a fee of 150USD which will give you the chance to track the chimpanzees in Kibale national park. After obtaining a chimpanzee trekking permit in the park, you will have the opportunity to trek one of the four habituated chimpanzee families in the park but before you participate in the activity, you will undergo a briefing session where they will give you the guidelines of chimpanzee trekking and the rules and regulations to follow during chimpanzee trekking in the park.
Chimpanzee trekking is carried out all year throughout but it should be noted that only 6 people are allowed to visit a chimpanzee family where you will only have a chance to spend with a family for only one hour understanding the primate species by observing their behavior in the park which will be an exciting adventure making chimpanzee trekking in Kibale National Park memorable.
- During chimpanzee trekking in Kibale National Park, tourists will have to hike through the forests in order to access the different chimpanzee families in the park, therefore, good hiking shoes are necessary for you to have a comfortable activity during your hike to the park.
- Insect repellent is also necessary because the park is a habitat to a number of disease-spreading insects like mosquitoes whose bites can be irritating and can also spread diseases like malaria.
- During chimpanzee trekking in Kibale National Park, you will see exceptional views of the chimpanzee swinging from the tree branches and with the camera, you will get the chance to capture the beautiful moments of the primates.
- Water bottle to stay hydrated during your hike in Kibale national park.
- Binoculars in order to see a number of bird species in the forest of Kibale national park as you get to the habituated chimpanzee families within the park.
- Long sleeved trousers, through the hike in Kibale national park, you will hike through the forests to avoid being scratched by nettles and tree branches.
- Pain killers because the hike in the park can be challenging.
Guidelines of chimpanzee trekking in the park
- A distance of about 7 metres should be kept to avoid contraction of diseases during chimpanzee trekking in Kibale national park.
- Avoid feeding the chimpanzees your food because it can spread diseases.
- Follow the lead of the guide in for your safety during chimpanzee trekking in Kibale national park.
- Avoid unnecessary movements and unnecessary noise in the park, because it will trigger the primates as threats and this can lead them to attack you
- Tourists under 15 years will not be allowed to participate in the activity.
Added benefits of chimpanzee trekking in the park
- During chimpanzee trekking in Kibale national park, you will get to see a number of interesting attractions that will make your chimpanzee tours in Uganda memorable and these include the following;
- Bird species: Kibale national park is not only a primate destination but also a birder’s safari with over 400 bird species that can be seen when you visit the park. During chimpanzee trekking in Kibale national park, a tourist will across over 100 bird species which is such an impressive number and among which include the following Pockefellers’s sunbird, Chapin’s flycatcher, Rwenzori Batis, strange weaver, red-throated alethe, Blue turaco, Ross’s turaco, coqui Francolin, long-tailed cisticola, bubbling cisticola, Miombo wren warbler, Chubb’s cisticola and many more.
- Primate species: In the park, you will not only see chimpanzee species but you will also have the opportunity to see a number of other primate species during your chimpanzee trekking experience and among the different primate that can be seen include the black and white colobus monkeys, the red tailed monkeys, Mona monkey, vervet monkeys, baboons which can be seen at the reception of the park and the monkey species that can be seen during your chimpanzee trekking experience in Kibale national park.