Ngamba Chimpanzee Sanctuary
Ngamba chimpanzee sanctuary is among the top destinations that can be visited during Uganda safaris for an amazing wildlife adventure in the country. Uganda is common among tourists as the primate destination where a number of primate species can be seen when they participate in a number of activities like gorilla trekking in Bwindi impenetrable national park, gorilla trekking in mgahinga national park, chimpanzee trekking in Kibale national park chimpanzee trekking in Queen Elizabeth National Park that is in the Kyambura gorge, chimpanzee trekking in Budongo forest, Murchison falls national park among other destinations in the country. Among the destinations that you can visit in Uganda, Ngamba chimpanzee sanctuary is one of the few that will give you the utmost tourism adventure when you choose it as your primate destination because of a number of activities that can be carried out and attractions that can be seen during your trip to the island.
Ngamba chimpanzee sanctuary
Ngamba Island is one of the few islands that can be seen on Lake Victoria that tourists can visit to access the Ngamba chimpanzee sanctuary which was established by Dr. Jane Goodall a good friend to Dian Fossey who conserved mountain gorillas in volcanoes national park. Dr. Jane Goodall just like dian Fossey fell in love with the primates that were victims to poaching and smuggling however with the help of Dr. Jane Goodall and a team of passionate conversationalists, they were able to rescue a number of chimpanzees that were being smuggled and those whose parents were killed as a result of poaching and these were then brought to Ngamba chimpanzee sanctuary where they are given refuge, protected and conserved in the long run.
Currently, there are over 49 chimpanzees at the Ngamba sanctuary where they are protected from any danger, fed they are vaccinated and well cared for to ensure sustainability. While at the Ngamba chimpanzee sanctuary you will have exceptional views of Lake Victoria where you will see a number of bird species especially water birds like the handsome francolin, Egyptian goose, African kingfisher, yellow-crested woodpecker, grey woodpecker among other bird species which will make your visit to Ngamba chimpanzee sanctuary quite memorable and aside from the water birds there are a number of attractions that can be seen and activities that can be carried out to have an amazing time at the Ngamba chimpanzee sanctuary.
Top things to do at Ngamba chimpanzee sanctuary
- Chimpanzee experience: With over 49 chimpanzees that can be seen at the Ngamba chimpanzee sanctuary, you will have an amazing time by watching the chimpanzees as they playfully swing from the tree branches, interact with one another. The activity is among the most amazing activities that can be carried out while at the Ngamba chimpanzee sanctuary where you will get to observe the behaviour of the primates in captivity you will enjoy watching their feeding patterns as they eat fruits and vegetables you can also take part in feeding them a banana from a raised viewing platform among other interesting features of the primates in the park which will make your visit to the sanctuary quite memorable.
- Fishing: Lake Victoria is Uganda’s largest fresh water lake where a number of fish species like Nile perch, Nile tilapia, and Silver fish among other fish types that can be seen by tourists when they participate in fishing as an activity during their time at the Ngamba chimpanzee sanctuary for a memorable time. You will enjoy fishing in Lake Victoria with a number of rewarding experiences with your engagement with nature, you will also be accompanied by a knowledgeable guide and skilled fishermen who will give you all the relevant and interesting information about Ngamba chimpanzee sanctuary and lake Victoria as you carry out fishing which will offer rewarding experiences.
- Boat cruise: As part of your Ngamba chimpanzee experience, you can also participate in a boat cruise on Lake Victoria after a long day at the Ngamba chimpanzee sanctuary observing the chimpanzees as they interact with the environment and one another, you can have a relaxing boat cruise where you will get to see a number of breathtaking views like the different bird species especially the water birds as they try to catch fish from the lake, the sunset among other interesting views while at the Ngamba chimpanzee sanctuary for a memorable adventure.
- Cultural encounters: You will have rewarding experiences as you engage with a number of local people who will give you a lifetime performance after carrying out activities at the sanctuary. You will get to see a number of cultural performances like the traditional dances, storytelling, plays among other different aspects and not to forget these are performed by the bonfire in the night an amazing way for the night to come to life as you enjoy your time as you visit Uganda, Ngamba chimpanzee sanctuary as the ultimate primate destination in the country.
- Wildlife viewing: Aside from the chimpanzees at the Ngamba chimpanzee sanctuary, you will get to see a number of other wildlife at the different viewing stations at the island and some of the other species that can be seen include; spotted necked otters, Nile monitor lizards, numerous bird species, crocodiles among other wildlife species which will make your visit to the Ngamba chimpanzee sanctuary memorable.
Other activities that can be carried out at the Ngamba chimpanzee sanctuary include camping, day excursions, volunteering for a day at the sanctuary where you will take care of the primates by feeding them, organizing their meals, cleaning, behavior observation among other activities which will ensure you have a memorable Uganda safaris and making it one of the top destinations to visit while in Uganda.