Gorilla Trekking in Uganda
Gorilla trekking in Uganda can be carried out in 2 Uganda national Parks that is Bwindi impenetrable national park and mgahinga national park which are all located in Kisoro district home of mountain gorillas that can be visited in their different habituated gorilla families. For tourists interested in gorilla trekking in Uganda, they should know the prices of a gorilla trekking permit in Uganda, what it involves carrying out gorilla trekking, the packing list among other aspects as explained below.
Bwindi impenetrable national park
While you visit Bwindi impenetrable national park, get ready to have a lifetime adventure with the ultimate gorilla trekking experience in the park. Bwindi Impenetrable National Park is home to over 400 mountain gorillas making it the habitat to half of the remaining mountain gorillas in the world. By visiting the park, you will have a chance to see a number of attractions like the Batwa people where you will go on to the Batwa trail where you will have amazing experiences getting to know about the forest people for instance how they depend on forest products like small creatures like squirrels, edible insects, tree roots among others which is quite fascinating. The park is also a home to over 400 bird species making it a birder’s destination. With the different activities in the park, gorilla trekking is one of the most amazing activities that can be carried out in the park.
Gorilla trekking in Uganda in Bwindi Impenetrable National Park can be carried out in four sectors like Buhoma, Ruhija, Nkuringo, and Rushaga to see the different gorilla families in the park. Therefore if you’re interested in carrying out gorilla trekking in the park, you will have to put in consideration that gorilla trekking sector you have been assigned to in order to book accommodation closest to the sector where you’re going to carry out gorilla trekking so that you don’t miss out on the amazing experience. It should be noted that gorilla trekking in Bwindi Impenetrable National Park is carried out at only 600USD.
Aside from gorilla trekking in the park, for tourists interested in having the ultimate gorilla experience while they visit the park, they can also participate in gorilla habituation
Gorilla trekking in Mgahinga National Park
Gorilla trekking in Mgahinga National Park involves hiking the Virunga Mountains in the park that is Mount Sabyinyo, Mount Muhabura, and Mount Gahinga. Currently, there are two gorilla families in the park that is Nyakagezi gorilla family and the recently migrated Hirwa gorilla family from volcanoes national park in Rwanda. In the park, tourists can also see the Ugenda gorilla family also that is a mobile gorilla family that can moves from volcanoes national park to mgahinga and vice versa.
While hiking the Virunga Mountains, you will get the chance to see the Nyakegezi and the Hirwa gorilla families and also a number of attractions like the different bird species, for example, the Rwenzori turaco, Pockefellers’s sunbird, Chapin’s flycatcher, Rwenzori Batis, strange weaver, red-throated alethe, monkey species like the golden monkeys, black and white colobus monkeys, and red tailed monkeys among other monkey species. Just like gorilla trekking in mgahinga national park, they can carry out the activity at only 600USD but come 1st July 2020, the price of gorilla trekking permit in Uganda will go up to 700USD.
BENEFITS OF GORILLA TREKKING IN UGANDA
- Hiking the Virunga Mountains, to get to the gorilla families in Mgahinga National Park, while hiking the virunga mountains will ensure that you will see a number of attractions like the different monkey species like the red tailed monkey, black and white colobus monkeys, Mona Monkey, Vervet Monkey, and the red tailed monkeys among other species.
- You will also have a chance to see exceptional views like the twin lake of Burera and Ruhondo, Lake Kivu among other attractions which will make your experience in the park memorable.
- Hiking the different trails in Bwindi Impenetrable National Park in the different sectors where you can find the gorilla families. While on the different trails, you will get to see a number of bird and animal species like the giant forest hog, bush pig, duikers, otter, sidetracked jackal.
- Spending an hour with the gorillas, after accessing the gorilla families in the park, will ensure you to have a time of getting to know more about the gorillas in the wild.
- You will have a chance to take photos as you spend time with the gorillas.
- With the one hour spent with the gorillas, tourists will get the chance to observe the behavior of the primates as you spend time with them. You will observe their behavior in the wild for instance how they feed on bamboo as a source of food, how they construct different nests every night.
- You can double trek in Bwindi impenetrable national park and mgahinga national park.
- The chances of getting a gorilla permit in Rwanda are high since you can carry out the gorilla trekking activity in Bwindi Impenetrable National Park and Mgahinga National Park.
PACKING LIST FOR GORILLA TREKKING IN UGANDA
- Hiking boots to make you’re hiking in the park easy this is because the Virunga Mountains can be slippery and hard to hike.
- Insect repellent because the park has a number of insects that can spread diseases like mosquitoes that can cause diseases like malaria among others.
- A camera to capture beautiful moments while in the park spending time with the gorillas among other attractions.
- Binoculars are optional which will enable you to see a number of bird species because a number of bird species can be seen in the two destinations.
Gorilla trekking in Uganda packages