MOUNTAIN GORILLA LIFESPAN
Mountain gorilla Lifespan : Mountain gorillas are among the most rewarding gorilla species that can be seen when you participate in gorilla trekking in Africa where you will get to visit the different gorilla trekking destinations where you will have the chance to understand the different gorilla species like the eastern lowland gorillas, western lowland gorillas that you can spend one hour with in order to observe and to understand the behavior of the species in the wild. The mountain gorillas were made famous by Dian Fossey who participated in habituating the gorillas to make gorilla trekking in Rwanda quite easy because the gorillas are quite aggressive species that once they are not habituated they can be dangerous.
For tourists interested in tracking the mountain gorillas in Africa, they can visit the Albertine rift the region where they can access the habituated species as they participate in gorilla trekking in Uganda, gorilla trekking in Congo and gorilla trekking in Rwanda where you will understand a number of interesting features like their feeding patterns, their diet, how they co-exist with one another, their social hierarchy which will give you the opportunity to see the dominant silverback that has all the mating rights with the adult females of the gorillas in the park , you will also get to understand the mountain gorilla life span and the threats to the survival of the gorillas in the park.
The life span of gorillas
The gorillas are endangered species that have a number factors that pose threats to their survival in the wild. It should be noted under normal circumstances, the mountain gorillas can leave between the age of 35-50 years in the wild and the mountain gorillas can live longer in captivity because there aren’t as many threats to the gorillas in captivity as it is in the wild. While participating in gorilla trekking in volcanoes national park, gorilla trekking in Virunga national park and gorilla trekking in Bwindi impenetrable national park and gorilla trekking in Mgahinga national park which will give you access to the mountain gorillas in the park thus Mountain gorilla Lifespan.
Threats to the survival of mountain gorillas
- Diseases can cut short the rate of survival for the mountain gorillas in the different national park therefore while participating in gorilla trekking in any of the national parks, while participating in gorilla trekking you are advised to maintain a distance away from the gorillas to avoid spreading diseases to the gorillas which can be fatal. It should be noted that in you will get to understand that a number of diseases like Ebola has led to their death it should be noted that between 2002-2003 a total of about 5500 western gorillas were killed after contracting Ebola
- Poaching has also contributed to the rate of deaths among the gorillas in the wild which has also cut short the life span of the gorillas in the wild. Before dian Fossey started her habituation process of the gorillas in the wild, a number of gorillas were losing their lives at a tender age and some of the gorillas were also killed to capture the infants and in the process, it has also increased to the
- Need for bush meat has also been a factor in the shortening of the gorilla lifespan where by a number of gorillas regardless of their age has led to the gorillas losing their lives at the expense of the locals need to get bush meat for the elites.
- Parasites have also contributed to the death of the gorillas in the wild a number of parasites can take up to 6 months living in the faucal matter by a number of animals and humans and in case the gorillas get in contact with this they can easily contract them which can cause diseases in the park which can contribute to their disease.
- Predators have also contributed to the death of the mountain gorillas in the parks, during food crises in the wild, gorillas can be preyed on by a number of predators in the park like the crocodiles, leopards as a source of food.
- Another factor that has contributed to gorilla deaths in the parks is the clearance of gorilla habitats for a number of activities like mining which has led to the migrations among the gorillas in the park to places where there is competition on the food, it should be noted that during food competition, there can be fight outbreaks for food between the gorillas and other primates like the chimpanzees where they can be seen attacking and killing wandering infants.
For tourists interested in having the best gorilla trekking experience in Africa, they should participate in gorilla trekking in volcanoes national park 2022, gorilla habituation in Uganda in Bwindi impenetrable national park which will give you the chance to participate in training the gorillas to get accustomed to human presence. You can also participate in hiking the Virunga mountains in Rwanda and the Virunga mountains in Congo which will give you access to the habituated gorilla families. Other activities you can take part in include; golden monkey trekking, chimpanzee trekking in Rwanda, chimpanzee trekking in kibale national park to have rewarding primate safaris in Africa.