Birding in Akagera National Park
Birding in Akagera National Park is one of the top tourist activities done in the park since it carries a great number of bird species. Akagera National Park is known for the big 5 animals which have attracted a number of tourists worldwide to come and see the big five animals that cannot be seen elsewhere in the National parks in Rwanda. However there a number of attractions that can be seen during the different activities that can be carried out in the park.
Some of the activities that can be carried out in the park include the boat cruise, sport fishing in Akagera national park, cultural tours around Akagera national park, nature walks in the park among other activities but among the different activities that can be carried out in akagera national park, birding is one of the memorable activities that can be carried out in the park to have an amazing adventure while on your tour in Akagera National Park.
For tourists interested in carrying out birding in akagera National Park, this travel guide will help you know what is expected during your birding safaris in the park for a thrilling time while you visit Akagera National Park.
- Binoculars in order to see a number of bird species while in the park which can help you see birds from a distance.
- Camera which will help you take memorable pictures of the bird species that you get to see in the park.
- Hat, during your birding safaris in order to protect you from the scorching sunshine in the park
- Bird checklist will enable you identify the different bird species in the park and also help you identify a number of given bird species within the park.
- Hiking boots that will enable you to have ease during your birding safaris in the park.
- Insect repellent because there are a number of insects in the park which will spread a number of diseases to the tourists after their bites while in the park. Some of the insects include mosquitoes that can spread malaria after the bites.
Guidelines for birding
- You should follow the lead of the guide in order to have a safe and amazing birding adventure in the park. It is the duty of the guide to lead you to safe areas within the park where you will be free from any attacks. During the birding safaris, the guide will lead you to the best viewing points in the park.
- You should stay in the vehicle during birding to avoid being attacked by any wild animals. In some areas of the park while carrying out birding, it will involve your viewing them while in the vehicle because they can be dangerous while on the ground because they can be easily attacked.
- You should avoid using audio messages to attract birds, tourists have adopted the use of audio messages like a number of different bird sounds to attract the birds from nests however some sounds can be alarming to some bird species which can scare them away, therefore, the tourists should refrain from using a number of audio sounds to attract the different bird species.
- During your birding safaris in Akagera National Park, tourists should respect the birds’ space for instance they should avoid attacking the nests of the bird because of the need to see the different bird species this is because their life matters.
- During the birding safaris in the park, you should silence all devices to avoid scaring off bird species.
- You should Know the right birding attire appropriate for birding in Akagera National Park during birding, tourists are expected to put on dull clothes to avoid scaring the bird species because the bright colors avoid scaring off the bird species.
What Birding involves in Akagera National Park
Before participating in birding in Akagera National Park, tourists will have to go through a briefing session where a tour guide will give you a brief about birding in akagera national park. During the session, you will be told about the dos and don’ts of birding while in the park for instance tourists are supposed to follow the lead of the tourists during their birding safaris in the country in order to have an amazing and safe activity in the park. After the briefing session, you will then participate in birding which involves participating in a drive around the park in the grasslands. You can also see a number of bird species during the boat cruise on lake Ihema and during nature walks in the park.
A knowledgeable birding guide will guide you through your birding adventure in the park in order to have an amazing trip. During birding the guide will offer assistance to the birders by giving relevant information about the different bird species in the park. Interesting about the birding guides in the park will lead you to areas within the park where you will get to see a number of bird species and by the end of birding safaris in the park, you will be able to see 100 bird species or more during your birding adventure in the park.
A ranger in the park will also accompany you during your birding safari in Akagera National Park who will protect you during the birding safaris in the park. Every activity in Akagera National park will involve a ranger accompanying you during your activities to avoid any attacks from any wild animals and incase where the animals try to attack you they will be scared off with a gun that they possess by firing in the sky to scare the animals away. This will ensure that you have an amazing birding adventure while in the park.