Top 7 Activities at Lake Kivu
Top 7 Activities at Lake Kivu are some of the amazing safari activities that one can engage in when they embark on a relaxation trip to the fascinating Lake Kivu. Lake Kivu is one of the fresh water lakes in Rwanda shared with its neighbor the democratic republic of Congo. The lake is the eighth largest in Africa and the largest in Rwanda making it of great significance to the people of Rwanda. The lake is home to 28 different fish species including the blue-spotted tilapia, the red tilapia, and Nile tilapia among other species. Waterbirds like the Common Waxbill spotted Yellow-throated Greenbul, Speckled Pigeons, Chin-spot Batis, Ashy Flycatcher, Cardinal Woodpecker, Bronzed Sunbirds and so many more. The lake is also a source of income to the natives because of the different activities that are carried out to generate income and these activities can be carried out by tourists to make their Rwanda tours memorable.
- Boat Cruise: Boat Cruise is the most done of the Top 7 Activities at Lake Kivu. Lake Kivu will give you the perfect opportunity for an amazing boat cruise, all the boat cruises at the lake are so rewarding with a number of attractions that can be seen while you cruise on the relaxing waters of the lake, the tailor-made packages of the boat cruises which including having lunch while on the boat cruise and in the evening when you can see the sunset while you sip on your wine and read a book is another amazing feature that can be borrowed while on your boat cruise on lake Kivu. If you opt for a longer boat cruise, you can visit the different islands, for instance, Amahoro Island and Napoleon Island where a great adventure awaits you.
- Sport Fishing: This is yet another interesting activity of the Top 7 Activities at Lake Kivu. The fresh water lake is a home for a number of fish species, for example, the redbreast tilapia, blue-spotted tilapia, Nile tilapia, longfin tilapia, Lake Tanganyika sardine among other fish species. The variety of the different fish species that can be caught from the lake makes the activity interesting and worthy of all the energy exerted in. Interesting in the activity in the country is the fact that it allows you to keep one fish to take home as a reward for your participation in the activity which is quite motivating for one to participate in it hence making your lake kivu trip interesting.
- Birding: Birding at the lake shores can enable you see a number of bird species that are seen on the shores of lake some can be seen catching prey from the lakes which is usually the fish, the African king fishers, the African woodpecker, knobs billed duck, white-faced whistling duck, yellow-billed stork, sacred ibis, and the hadada ibis Common Waxbill spotted Yellow-throated Greenbul, Speckled Pigeons, Chin-spot Batis, Ashy Flycatcher. Other bird species can be seen while o the boat cruise or during walks along the shores of Lake Kivu.
- Swimming: Lake Kivu is a fresh water lake with clean bilharzia free waters which makes it conducive for swimming therefore after you long walks and the scorching sun fill free to take a dip in the waters to have a relaxing, calm adventure in the water and if you’re a not a good swimmer and you’re interested in the activity among the Top 7 Activities at Lake Kivu, worry not there are friendly people that are willing to teach you or help you out while you go swimming. There are different beaches along the lake with lifeguards to make your activity safe.
- Visiting islands: Depending on your time at the lake, if you have longer time to spend on the lake, you can visit the different islands on the lake, for instance, Nyamirundi Island where there is a large coffee plantation where you will have the opportunity to understand the whole coffee-making process from harvesting, drying, roasting and then grinding the coffee for consumption. You will have a chance to taste the organic coffee that is made from the land of a thousand hills with deep fertile soil. You can also visit Napoleon Island where you will have a chance to see the numerous bats in trees that welcome you with different noises in the trees; the island has a connection to the Rwanda genocide which can also be visited on the Rwanda genocide tour. During the many people fled to the island for safety in order to hide from the Hutus but when the Hutus got to know about their secret they came to the island and burnt it all with all the people that were seeking refuge there. Other islands on the lake include a serene island, Peace Island or Amahoro Island and so on.
- Biking/Water Sports: Around the lake shores you can go biking as you experience the breeze from the lake but biking is not only the sports activity that can be carried out along the shore. On the different beaches along the shores of Lake Kivu, you can participate in other sports activities like beach volleyball, beach soccer, kayaking, windsurfing and so much more to make the trip to lake kivu quite rewarding.
- Visiting the Imbabazi Orphanage: While at Lake Kivu, you can decide to visit the Imababazi orphanage which was established by Rasmond Carr an American humanitarian who is key in Rwanda’s history and a good friend to the late Dian Fossey who is very key in the conservation of the mountain gorillas. The orphanage was established to act as a home to orphans whose parents were killed in the Rwanda genocide it should be noted that the 1994 Rwanda genocide made a number of children orphans and when Rosamond saw the pain they were going through, she decided to establish the orphanage to care for the orphans in order for them not to miss out on the love of loved ones which is a heartwarming gesture to a non Rwandan. On your trip, you can visit the orphanage where a number of orphans have been brought in throughout the years you can donate to them or give them emotional support, read to them a book to make them feel loved.
“With those Top 7 Activities at Lake Kivu, you are ready to go and explore the Lake Kivu to the fullest.”