Activities in Nyungwe National Park
Activities in Nyungwe National Park are the main ventures that travelers engage in when they visit the park as they explore the amazing features of the park like the chimpanzees and other primates. Nyungwe national park is the ultimate primate destination in Rwanda with thirteen different primate species including the chimpanzees which are the dominant primate species in the park, the monkey species among other primates. The park does not only boast of the primates but also the different other attractions and activities that will make the tour in the park memorable as explained below;
- Chimpanzee trekking: Chimpanzee trekking in East Africa can be carried out in a selected number of parks in Uganda it is carried out in Kibale national park and in Kenya though they have just created a sanctuary for the chimpanzees because they are not native in the country these can be yfound in Ol Pejeta chimpanzee sanctuary they do not carry put chimpanzee trekking in the country and then Rwanda in Nyungwe national park the primate heaven. The Park offers the best primate experience and the environment in East Africa as compared to that of Uganda, because of the different other activities that can be engaged in which are not limited to those of Uganda. Chimpanzee trekking in Nyungwe is a fun experience that should not be missed out while on a Rwanda national parks tour. The activity involves tourists heading early morning to the Uwinka reception area where they are briefed about the do’s and don’ts in the presence of the chimpanzees and the rules to follow while carrying out the activity and once the briefing is done they go into the forests to find the playful primates in their troops. Once they are found, tourists will be able to see how they carry out their daily activities like how they groom one another, they eat, play and so on which is quite fascinating to watch.
- Canopy walk: This is one of the main activities in Nyungwe National Park. In east Rwanda is the only country with a canopy walkway that can be found in Nyungwe national park. Among the activities that can be carried out in the park, the activity is one of the amazing activities anyone should participate in while in the park. On the canopy walkway, there are three different stretches of the walkway and at every stretch, you will be able to see a number of attractions like the numerous bird species, chimpanzees jumping in the tree branches, butterfly species can also be seen lining up on the metal ropes which is quite fascinating to see.
- Colobus monkey tracking: The park is home to a number of primate species including the different monkey species including the L’hoste monkey, black and white colobus monkeys among other monkey species. You will have the chance to go colobus monkey tracking one of the most dominating monkey species in the park with their black and white fur which gives off a beautiful compliment to one another making them the perfect species to go tracking in the park as they can be seen swinging in the different tree species. You can also get the chance to see newborn infants who are born purely white which are quite beautiful to look at.
- Bird watching: The numerous tree species in the park, offer the best shelter for the different bird species in the park. The park is a home to over 200 bird species which can be seen on the different trails in the park, for instance, the igishigishigi trail where you will find the canopy walkway, Kamiranzovu trail, karamba birding trail and others and with the help on a guide, you will be able to identify the new bird species that you might see that you are not used to. The activity is quite interesting because it is carried out in the areas where primate species can be seen for instance the chimpanzees, monkeys species which is quite rewarding.
- Community encounters: While in Nyungwe national park, you should not miss out on visiting the Kitabi and Banda cultural villages which will give you an insight into the Rwanda culture. The different cultural groups will showcase their culture through dance, folk songs, traditional cuisines where you will have a chance to taste the different dishes like Ibiryo which is a mixture of potatoes and goat’s meat which is a delicious delicacy. You will have a chance to participate in the different activities for instance basket weaving, cultural dances and so on which is quite interesting and educative in the process
- Nature walks: Nature walks in the park are one of the activities in Nyungwe National Park quite interesting and calming because of the clean and relatively undisturbed area Nyungwe is, it is not facing a pollution which makes the park the best area for nature walks to get the smell of nature’s fresh air and the sounds of leaves on trees making the best sound that will leave your ears asking for more. During nature walks in the park, you will be able to see a number of attractions like the primate species, Kamiranzovu swamp which is believed that a number of elephants drowned in the swamp.
- Plantation visits: Interesting in making the best of your Nyungwe national park tour, then you should visit the plantations in Nyungwe national park, there are two different plantations in the park that is the Gisakura and Kitabi tea estates where you will have a tour around the tea plantations, you will participate in the activities like harvesting tea, selecting the best tea for process and at the end of the day tea tasting, lunches are also provided to make the visit to the plantations memorable and fun.