Activities in the Democratic Republic Congo
Activities in the Democratic Republic Congo are the different ventures that travelers can decide to engage in when they are on tour in the Country. The Democratic Republic of Congo is one of the most beautiful safari destinations that can be carried out in Africa. The country is known to be naturally blessed with a number of attractions like numerous animal species including the endangered mountain gorillas, eastern lowland gorillas among other attractions that can be seen in the country. There are a number of Activities in the Democratic Republic Congo that can be carried out to make your Congo safari memorable and these include the following;
1. Gorilla trekking: Gorilla trekking is one of the activities that should not be missed out on while you visit the democratic republic of Congo. Gorilla trekking can be carried out in a number of national parks in Congo that have different species of gorillas for instance in Kahuzi Biega National Park you can find the eastern lowland gorillas in Virunga national park you will find the mountain gorillas, in Noubali national park and Maiko national park you will find the western gorillas. You can choose to carry out Gorilla trekking in the different national parks to understand the difference between the mountain gorillas and other gorilla families. The gorilla trekking process involves spending an hour with the primates to ensure that you get to spend with the gorillas watching how they interact while in their natural habitats. This is the biggest of all Activities in the Democratic Republic Congo.
2. Visiting national parks: While visiting the democratic republic of Congo, you can visit the different national parks where a number of activities can be carried out. There are different national parks that can be visited in Congo for instance;
- Virunga national park: While visiting Virunga National Park, you will be able to participate in a number of activities like gorilla trekking where you will see the mountain gorillas in the park and the different Congo families that can be seen for instance Mapuwa gorilla group, Bageni gorilla group among other gorilla families. You can also see a number of other primate species like chimpanzees, the vervet monkey, black and white colobus monkey, red tailed monkey among other monkey species. Still in the park, you will get to hike mount Nyiragongo a mountain with the largest lava lake that you will get to see when you participate in the Mountain Nyiragongo hike.
- Kahuzi Biega national park: Another famous park in Congo is Kahuzi Biega National park which will offer you the opportunity to see a number of attractions for instance the eastern lowland gorillas, a number of bird species like the Rockefellers’ sunbird, Chapin’s flycatcher, Rwenzori Batis, strange weaver, red-throated alethe, , Ross’s turaco, coqui Francolin, long-tailed cisticola, bubbling cisticola, Miombo wren warbler, Chubb’s cisticola and a number of other attractions.
- Other Salonga national park is known for the western gorillas that can be seen when you carry out gorilla trekking, in Ntokou Pikuonda national park you will get to see chimpanzees and lowland gorillas, in Maiko national park, you will have a chance to see the African elephant, eastern chimpanzees among other primate species.
3. Hiking the Virunga Mountains: There are different Virunga Mountains that can be hiked and seen during your trip to the democratic republic of Congo. These mountains are found within mgahinga National park where you will find Mount Sabyinyo, Mount Gahinga and Mount Muhabura that are shared with Volcanoes National park where you can also find mount Bisoke and Mount Karisimbi, in the democratic republic of Congo, you can find the Virunga Mountains in Virunga National Park where you will see Mount Nyiragongo which offers magnificent views of the world’s largest lava lake, Mount Nyamuragira which is also an active volcano and mount Mikeno where you will see a number of primate species and participate in other activities like camping at the top of the mountains among other interesting attractions and activities within the park.
4. Visiting the different sanctuaries: While carrying out your Congo safari ( Activities in the Democratic Republic Congo ), you can visit the different sanctuaries in the country where you will have amazing adventures and some of the sanctuaries in the country that can be visited include;
- Lola Ya Bonobo sanctuary: You can visit the world’s only bonobo sanctuary that can b visited in the democratic republic of Congo. The Lola Ya Bonobo sanctuary provides refuge to orphaned bonobos just like the Sekwenkwe gorilla orphanage, since there is an increase in the demand for bushmeat and demand to use the wild animals as pets, parents are killed in order to get hold of other family members which has led the increase in the number of orphaned bonobos which leaves them frustrated and sick therefore they are brought to the sanctuary where they are taken care by different caretakers to ensure that they are well-taken care and if they are ready they can be taken to their natural habitats.
- Lwiro chimpanzee sanctuary: The Lwiro chimpanzee sanctuary can be accessed after your trip from or to Kahuzi Biega national park and Virunga National park because of the sanctuary is within the proximity of both the national parks. At the Lwiro chimpanzee sanctuary, you will have a chance to pet a baby chimpanzee for a day by feeding it, playing with it and for the grown-up chimpanzees, you will have the chance to see the chimpanzees jumping playfully within the trees of the sanctuary. At the sanctuary, you will also see how the chimpanzees are taken care of to ensure that they survive. You will see their feeding routines, naptime routines among other routines that are carried out to ensure that they are taken care of to survive within the sanctuary and the purpose of the sanctuary is to ensure that the chimpanzees at the end when they are ready to go back to their natural habitats., they can be freed to go back to the wild.
- Senkwenkwe gorilla orphanage: The Senkwenkwe gorilla orphanage can also be visited while in Congo to ensure that they have an amazing experience while visiting the country. The gorilla orphanage is located within virunga national park and you can visit the orphanage as another supplement to the activities that can be carried out within the park. At the gorilla orphanage, you will have the opportunity to play with the gorillas, feed the infants among other activities within the orphanage for the gorillas to have an amazing experience while on your Congo safari.